Wednesday 5 February 2014

AMSER I ANFON GAIR O'R DIWEDD / TIME TO SEND WORD AT LONG LAST!!!!


O'r diwadd dwi yn cael amser i anfon pwt o air. mae wedi bod mor brysur ers dydd Iau diwetha a'r gwasanaeth sefydlu!

At last I am able to send a few words following a really busy few days following the induction Service last Thursday!

The Induction service was a special occasion for me personally and an experience that I will remember and treasure for ever. Yes, I was very nervous and worried that I would become emotional. I really didn't want to be tearful at the service… for one thing I don't know that Bishop Gregory or Archdeacon Peter would have known how to cope with me and my tears!!!
It was so very strange that once the service began my nerves disappeared and I got on with my role… the same thing happened when I took my mother's and my grandmother's funerals… Once in role I became confident and calm.
I can say with hand on heart that i enjoyed the service very much. there was a very beautiful atmosphere at All Saint's Church that evening and it was so special to see such a crowd of people filling the whole of the Church. I was so touched to see friends such as Betty who had travelled all the way from London for the evening, friends and old colleagues from my time as a social Worker at The Heath
Hospital, Cardiff, Friends from Caernarfon, Llangollen, Rhyl, Rhuddlan, Bala… and Gordon Lloyd who had travelled from Barmouth. Gordon is a good friend who was brought up in Newtown and was a young chorister at All Saint's some 70 years ago. he left Newtown to pursue his career in the police… and he returned to his old Church for my induction service!

Here is Gordon (the white haired gentleman standing on the back row next to Chris) surrounded by 3 of my Church Wardens and the young people who helped with the service…



And this is a photo of the three Church Wardens...


from left… Mike, Barbara, me, Chris. (The fourth Warden, Shirley, had to leave early as she had a long journey to a friends funeral in London the following day).

Having said good bye to the Bala family in the coach i returned to All Saint's church feeling a sense of excitement… no sadness, no tears… The past has been, the future is just beginning!!!

However, upon arriving home and reading some of the cards I became very emotional and cried more!!! It is a strange thing… being so sad and heartbroken… and yet, this was all my own doing… the decision to leave Bala and start in a new Parish!!!

The next morning, actually the next day throughout was very busy indeed. Friends who had stayed overnight at different venues came for coffee, first staff meeting at the Rectory, more visitors and meetings… a busy but fruitful day.

Saturday was just as busy… friends called en route home to Bala and it was time to be still and prayerful in order to prepare my first sermon for my first sermon in the Parish. What will they expect to hear… what will i say… what should I say…?

Sunday 10am was to be my first service - a joint service for the three Churches at All Saint's Church - refreshments to follow in the hope that people would stay after the service for further fellowship - a great opportunity to meet people and to begin forming relationships.
There was a congregation of about 150 with a few children and young people. i was thrilled and enjoyed the service throughout. The fellowship was warm and it was sad to see everyone leave…

And so my ministry here has well and truly begun. I have met with many lovely Christians. I had a good meeting today with Alan Backhouse who is a retired cleric who worships at All Saint's and has been busy helping in the parish during the interregnum. Between Alan and Michael Comer, I have two caring, supporting and trustworthy clerics and soon to become good friends I am sure. Three super lay readers - Wendy, Christine and Jean, a number of Worship Leaders and Pastoral Assistants… I feel rather spoilt for colleagues to help with my ministry!

Things are on a rather bigger and busier scale here to compare with Bala… this was partly why I moved… to be involved with a bigger and busier parish! And so here i am in a bigger and much busier parish. I have by now, sifted through the wedding and baptism bookings and have arranged to see all the couples and parents… I am beginning to prepare a list of home visits in order of priority…, I have a meeting with Alex next week and with her Wardens this coming Sunday to offer support as they prepare for her Induction service…, A joint PCC meeting has been arranged for next week and I have a long list of matters for the agenda, and a Mission Area Meeting has been arranged for the beginning of March… which Alex will be able to attend... I am making a start! And of course, there are some Diocesan meetings to fit in!

And so while I am busy with my work, Wyn has been delegated with the responsibility of the food shopping… and he has plenty of shops to choose from. He has found a good butchers shop and he has found a shop nearby where he can collect his Daily Post… his Motorcycle News is sent directly to the Rectory. For those of you who know Wyn, you will know how important receiving Motorcycle News on time is for him!

Our vouchers which we had as a gift from the parish are being quickly spent… on a washing machine (we had a flood in the utility room a few days ago… our old machine has come to the end of it's days), and so a new one has now been purchased and will arrive on Saturday. A hose pipe, some kitchen implements, a new set of telephones…, all very essential items.

We have heard that Wyn's close friend Huw is very poorly, now in the Wrexham Maelor, and so we will visit him asap. Huw is a really lovely person. he used to cut the lawn for us in Bala and i always provoked him… that he timed his visits well for tea. Wyn and Huw would chat for ever. Wyn will be upset at the news of Huw's deteriorating health although he may not show it.

Rhaid imi ddweud tan toc nawr… mae hi wedi hen basio amser gwely! Anfonaf air eto cyn hir…

I must say cheerio for now… it has long passed my bedtime! I will blogg again before too long...








1 comment:

  1. So delighted that you feel excited and positive. You will without doubt rise to the challenge of a new and bigger parish. Looking forward to hearing more as the weeks progress.

    ReplyDelete